You never know when a fire emergency is going to happen, so the time to prepare is now. Here are five quick ways you can better prepare and inform yourself and your family on what to do in case there was a fire emergency in your building.
- Meet with your landlord or property manager to learn if your building is combustible or non-combustible and plan emergency measures that are appropriate to the building construction.
- Know the locations of egress (a way out) and exits. It is critical to know where your nearest exit is, as well as where the nearest backup is located in the event you cannot escape through the first.
- Regularly check that all stairwell doors and exits are accessible in the event of an emergency. If they are blocked, alert management right away.
- Make sure your apartment has a working smoke alarm. Check the batteries and that it is in working order every six months. Schedule a reminder in your calendar.
- Set a pre-arranged emergency meeting place with your family. The meeting place should be outside of your apartment building, away from the building.
Interested in fire safety training for yourself and your neighbors in your building? Contact us for more information. Contact Us