October 9, 2016 –
A fire can break out at any time. Knowing what to do in case there is a fire in your building can be the difference between life and death. Be sure you know what to do. Here are five things to keep in mind in the event of a fire in your apartment building.
- Check the door. If a fire alarm sounds, check to make sure the fire is not right outside your apartment by feeling the door with the back of your hand. If it is hot, the fire may be just outside your door. Do not open the door. Put damp towels and/or sheets around the door to keep smoke out. Alert the fire department that you are in the apartment.
- Take your keys. If you leave your apartment, take your keys, shut the door, but do not lock it. You may have to return if your planned escape route is blocked.
- Notify your neighbors. As you exit to the nearest stairwell, notify your neighbors by yelling, “Fire!” and knocking on their doors.
- DO NOT USE THE ELEVATORS! Unless otherwise instructed by the fire department, fire safety personnel, or security guards only.
- Stay out. Once outside, stay out! Go to your family’s pre-arranged meeting place to find other family members.
Interested in fire safety training for yourself and your neighbors in your building? Contact us for more information. Contact Us