Christmas trees are part of the festive season. They are fun to decorate and enjoy all season long. They can also be fire hazards. Follow these safety tips to keep your home and family safer this Christmas!
Oh, Christmas Tree oh, Christmas Tree…!
When picking a tree, be sure to select one with fresh, green needles that do not fall off when touched. If they are brownish or fall off at the touch, they are dry and are a fire hazard!
Setting up Your Tree
- Cut 2” from the base of the trunk. This will help it soak up the water in the stand.
- Make sure to place your tree at least three feet away from any heat source, like fireplaces, radiators, candles, heat vents or lights.
- Do not place candles near a tree or any of the presents. Use LED lights instead of flame candles if possible.
- Make sure the tree, or the presents underneath, are not blocking an exit.
- Add water to the tree stand. Be sure to add water daily.
Lighting the Tree
- Use lights that are listed by a qualified testing laboratory. Some lights are only for indoor or outdoor use. Be sure to check which ones you have and use appropriately and according to the instructions on the box.
- Replace any string lights with worn or broken cords or loose bulb connections. Read the manufacturer’s instructions for the maximum number of lights strands you can connect.
- Be sure to not overload the power strip when plugging in lights.
- Always, always, turn off your Christmas tree lights before leaving home or going to bed.